CHTs seeking Recertification by Professional Development must satisfy the eligibility requirements based on their appropriate accrual cycle.
This information applies to you if you have recertified once or more.
- Be a current CHT (Active or Inactive) in good standing (no unresolved disciplinary actions against you by HTCC).
- Hold a current professional credential to practice as an OT or PT. Depending on your profession and where you practice, a professional credential may include a license, certificate, or registration. In all cases, it is the credential that you need to legally practice in that location. This credential must be active and you must be in good standing with the agency that issued it.
Accrue a minimum of 2,000 hours of work experience.
The 2,000 hours of work experience may be any combination of the following areas:
- Hand Therapy Clinical Practice experience
- Formal teaching directly related to Hand therapy;
- Research directly related to hand therapy;
- Direct supervision or administration of a hand therapy clinical program;
- Consultation related to hand therapy;
- Activities supporting professional organizations related to hand therapy (i.e. American Society of Hand Therapists, the American Hand Therapy Foundation, the International Federation of Societies of Hand Therapists, the Hand Therapy Certification Commission, the American Association for Hand Surgery, the Hand Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association, etc.).
The Employment Verification Form can be:
- Downloaded in For CHTs (with your employment information pre-printed on it)
- Downloaded in the Forms section of the website
- Printed from the Recertification Handbook
You may download a form at any time to submit with your online hours or if you need to get verification before leaving an employer.
Professional Development Requirements
Accrue 80 contact hours of professional development. All 80 hours may be in Category A.
Click here to view the Professional Development Categories and learn how to enter & track your hours online.