Formal Courses with General Clinical OT or PT Content
Maximum accepted: 20 hours per 5-year accrual cycle
Description of Activities
This category encompasses courses that address the clinical application of general occupational therapy or physical therapy knowledge such as the following:
Complementary Medicine (see below)
Evidence Based Medicine
Spine (other than the cervical spine)
- Courses pertaining to practice management should be placed in Category F. Activities related to those areas (e.g. peer review, and participation in quality assurance activities) should be placed in Category F. Supervision of fieldwork students should be place in Category G.
- Courses too general for Category A may be appropriate for this category.
- Some educational courses have content that are applicable to both Category A and Category C. Proof for such courses must delineate how many contact hours from the course content apply to Category A and how many contact hours apply to Category C. Only one copy of the course outline and certificate needs to be sent to HTCC when submitted online.
- Complimentary Medicine: You may submit a total of 20 hours in courses related to complementary medicine. Courses related to complementary medicine include, but are not limited to:
- Active Release Therapy
- Cranio-sacral therapy
- General body massage
- Dry Needling
- Movement therapy: Feldenkrais, Hellerwork/Structural Integration, Bowen Technique, Rolfing, Alexander Technique
- Energy healing
- Magnet therapy
- Tai Chi
- Yoga as long as the courses are designed for health care professionals. You may not submit a yoga class that you attend as a participant.
Contact Hours, CEUs, and Academic Credit Awarded
- The course being submitted must specify the number of contact hours awarded.
- 1 contact hour = 1 clock hour of education
- 1 CEU = 10 contact hours
- If the course is taken through a college or university:
- One Semester Hour or one credit equals 15 contact hours
- One Quarter Hour or one credit equals 10 contact hours
- The specific number of hours of educational content must be indicated.
Submit a photocopy of the course certificate, the formal transcript, or grade report that contains:
- Your name
- Date(s) of attendance
- Title of course
- Sponsoring organization
- Contact hours awarded
- If the course did not provide a certificate, submit written verification of attendance signed by a supervisor or course coordinator containing the same information as above.
- A course registration receipt alone is NOT sufficient proof of attendance.